Thursday, July 2, 2009

Whole Wheat Quinoa Bread

So remember how I said that you can make bread, good bread, out of almost anything? Well it's true. Especially so when the ingredient in question is cooked, leftover grains. Not sure what to do with it? Stick it in a loaf of bread! So when I cooked a bit too much quinoa for dinner a couple of weeks ago and didn't know what to do with it, I decided to make bread. Now, it's not often you see recipes for quinoa bread so after doing a bit of mostly unsuccessful research, I just decided to wing it. This bread is mostly made with whole wheat flour to up the whole grain and fiber content and sweetened with just a bit of honey. For my first attempt, I was very successful and would definitely, definitely repeat this again, perhaps swapping brown rice or anything else on hand. The honey really shines while the quinoa really doesnt, which truthfully I dont mind as long as the nutritional profile is there. Because it is a sandwich bread, meaning it's a straight loaf, I fermented this in the refrigerator and gave it a fold after it doubled. I let it rise overnight and then shaped. Next time, I would cut the yeast back even more for more flavor. In retrospect, I should have made one large loaf and some rolls, but hey, no damage was done. My sandwich loaves were just a bit smaller. Keep wrapped at room temperature for a couple of days or freeze for longer storage.

My Whole Wheat Quinoa Bread
370 grams (1 1/4 cups) water
215 grams (1 cup) cooked quinoa
1/4 cup honey-- have to check the grams
12 grams (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
450 grams whole wheat flour
62 grams bread flour, plus more as needed
6 grams (2 tsp) instant yeast
9 grams (1 1/2 tsp) salt

Place the water and quinoa in a large bowl.Add the oil, honey, yeast and salt.Whisk to combine.Add the whole wheat flour and mix to combine.Add the bread flour and s tir to make a shaggy dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until a smooth dough is formed.
Place in a greased bowl and turn to coat. Place in the fridge to rise. Once it's doubled give it a fold. Replace in the fridge.The dough should be doubled again.Turn the dough out,and portion in two. Pat each portion into a rectangle,

and roll jelly roll style.Place the loaves seam side down in eight inch loaf pans. Set aside to proof until they reach the height of the pan. Preheat the oven to 350.The proofed loaves. Bake until a thermometer inserted in the bread registers at least 190 degrees. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.

1 comment:

PheMom said...

What a great idea! I'll have to remember this for when I need to use up some leftover grains!