Thursday, May 21, 2009

Baked Brownies

I think it is every baker's goal to find the ultimate brownie recipe. I know it was mine. For a time, I thought I had found them in KAF's On the Fence Brownies. But that was only until I bought the Baked cookbook and tried out their famous brownies. I will never go back to any other brownie. This recipe is all you'll ever need. I could go on and on, but it really just isn't necessary. In my next baking of this recipe, I think I'll try to decrease the flour a bit and add some more cocoa to up the chocolate flavor, but even that is not necessary. Be sure to cool completely before cutting them. Your patience will be rewarded. These brownies rock. And they're even better cold.

Baked Brownies

1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp cocoa powder
11 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup margarine or butter
1 tsp instant espresso powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to350 degrees. Grease the sides of a 9x13 inch baking pan.In a large bowl, place the flour, salt, and cocoa. Whisk well to combine.
Place the margarine, chocolate and espresso powder in a bowl and microwave until almost melted.Stir until completely melted and smooth. Add the sugars, and stir thoroughly to combine.

Add three eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk well to combine.
Add the remaining two eggs and whisk. Add vanilla . Do not overbeat at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.

Sprinkle the flour mixture over the top of the chocolate batter.
Gently fold the mixtures together. Take care not to overmix.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan at the halfway point.


Cool completely; cut and serve. Serve with ice cream and hot fudge sauce for a decadent dessert or enjoy cold with a glass of milk.

No comments: