Thursday, May 21, 2009

Butterscotch Chews

Oh, engagement season. My friend S got engaged to A over Passover break. Finally. They came back to Israel and celebrated their engagement here. Finally. I'd been waiting for the party so that I could... bake. Selfish, I know. But they benefited too! Of course I can never not make more than one thing. I've learned from many a party that guests like finger foods. They don't like having to carry around a slice of cake. They like one or two bite pieces of goodness. So I always make some sort of cookie and/or bar. In that case, I turn to King Arthur Flour first. These Butterscotch Chews caught my eye as the butterscotch flavor intrigues me (and I have a bottle of extract from my last trip to the states!) and they seemed easy to whip up. The recipe yielded fewer than stated so I would make more next time and I liked the addition of the extract so I'd up the dose a bit next time as well. The cookies were crunchy but chewy and really nicely flavored. I omitted the pecans because I just didn't have them on hand. I would definitely make these again but I think these babies took a back seat to that other thing I made. Recipe coming soon ;)

Butterscotch Chews
1 stick unsalted butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp butterscotch extract
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
In a bowl, place the margarine, sugar, syrup, salt, extracts, and leaveners.Cream well.Add the egg,
stirring well to combine.Add the flour,and beat until combined. Shape into balls and press down on them to flatten.
This batch I forgot to press down. They formed flat cookies by themselves in the oven but ended up looking a bit different. Still yummy, but different. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Bring to an engagement party near you. Or just eat them yourselves. That's what my dormmate did. But who can blame her?

No comments: