Sunday, May 10, 2009

Challot

Wow! It has been way too long since I've updated this blog. I can't even express how much I've missed posting pictures and my random thoughts about the things I've been baking. I still don't have internet access in my room, which still makes it inconvenient to post, but the university has been gradually setting up wireless internet in some places on campus, one of those being close to the dorm. What kind of university doesn't have wireless internet access on campus?! We students have asked the same question many times over. But hopefully by next year we'll have it all over campus and the shlep won't be such a big deal. I said hopefully. My fingers are still crossed on that one.
So what have I been up to? Oh, same old. Reading cookbooks and blogs, longing for the day I get to update mine. I've been baking here and there, for parties and Shabbat.. and I've even added to the cookbook collection. I've had my eyes on bread recipes, but as you know, nothing is dearer to my heart than Challah. So it should come as no surprise that my first post back is my latest in a string of Challah posts. Let me just tell you, that this recipe is a winner. I know that because my friends have told me they think this is the best batch I've made. And they've loved quite a many challot of mine. The texture is dense and moist but not too heavy. Sweet but not too sweet and not eggy at all. It actually struck a perfect balance for me as I don't love sweet challot or eggy ones either. This is definitely one to make over. This batch yielded two challot and a roll because I didn't need much more than that, but feel free to double it as needed.



Challot

1 tbsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 kilo flour
1 egg
1 1/3 cups oil
2 1/4 cups water

Place all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl...
Stir well..Add the wet ingredients right on top.Stir well to make a shaggy dough making sure all the dry ingredients are moistened. Step away from the dough and let it autolyse for fifteen to twenty minutes, or as long as you have patience for.Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. It will be a bit soft and sticky due to the oil.Here's the dough kneaded,and in a greased and oiled bowl ready for its overnight rise in the refrigerator. This is my preferred method of raising Challot.This is the dough after its overnight rise in the fridge.Braid/shape the dough as desired and allow it to proof until doubled in size. Brush the challot with a beaten egg and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until golden brown and delicious.

This is how mine turned out! They were real winners! Enjoy!!

No comments: