Monday, July 6, 2009

Muffin Mondays: Orange Millet Muffins

For a limited time only... Muffin Mondays is back.. and with the best muffins I've had in a long time! These muffins are what I baked in my effort to avoid studying for my exams. And my how successful they were. These awesome bites of sunshine come from Regan Daly's The Sweet Kitchen. Intrigued by the sound of millet in a muffin, I've had my eye on them for a bit and after seeing a small bag in the supermarket decided to go for it. I know.. I'm supposed to be emptying my pantry instead of filling it. But sometimes you need to buy stuff to get rid of other stuff. It's a vicious cycle. But the reward is deliciously moist muffins with a bit of cruch and the comforting flavor of orange that are excellent for breakfast on days when you have to contend with studying. Make these. You seriously will not regret it. This batter yields a generous amount so make now and freeze some for later.

Orange Millet Muffins
adapted from The Sweet Kitchen

2 2/3 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup millet
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups orange juice
2/3 cup vegetable oil
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Liberally grease a twelve cup muffin pan. In a large bowl, place all the dry ingredients.Whisk until thoroughly combined.In a separate bowl, place all the liquid ingredients.Whisk well to combine. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients,and with a spatula fold gently to combine.Fill the muffin cups all the way to the rims. Dont worry they bake out nicely.
Bake until the muffins are nice and golden and a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs, about twenty five minutes. After five minutes, remove from the pans and place on a rack to cool. Store in an airtight container or freeze for longer storage.

No comments: