Monday, July 27, 2009

Shabbat Dessert Roundup Part 1: Gingerbread Bundt

Another Shabbat in, another series of desserts. This Gingerbread Bundt cake was actually not on my original to do list. I had planned to make a Chocolate Chocolate Cream Roll (which I made but did not serve for dessert, more on that in a later post), but when that didn't work out and I needed a dessert, I turned to the Baker's Companion and found this recipe. With all the ingredients in the pantry and its ease of preparation, this cake found its way on to the Friday night dessert table. This cake was soo good. Warm and comfortingly spicy, it was moist and tender. It was extremely well received and S even asked for the leftovers to enjoy with coffee which I glady handed over. I made some tiny changes based on what I had on hand, such as adding honey for some of the molasses because I was out and adding oil to make up for the rest of the margarine that I was missing. All in all, the cake rocked. Originally meant to be a pan cake, I baked it in a bundt instead for a bit more pretty presentation. This is my go to Gingerbread cake. It should be yours, too.

Gingerbread Cake
KAF Baker's Companion

3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup
8 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour a bundt pan or a 9x13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.Whisk until well combined.Add the dry ingredients,and blend until smooth.Pour the boiling water over,and stir until smooth. Pour into the prepared bundt panand bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Turn out onto a wire rack and cool. Notice the crack on the cake where the cake stuck to the pan? No one did either. Wrap well in plastic wrap to store. Dust with powdered sugar or serve as is. It's yummy either way.

No comments: