Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mommy's Pesach Banana Cake

I know Pesach is a long way behind us, but I had all of the ingredients at the ready for this cake so I decided to bake it anyway. Besides, in this case kosher for Pesach means gluten-free, and when you know people who are living the gluten-free lifestyle, this is a cake to make any time. This cake is in the style of sponge/chiffon cakes, except in this case, there is no oil. That's right- except for the yolks, this is a fat-free cake. The bananas, sugar and yolks are sufficient to keep this cake moist and the beaten egg whites contribute their usual light-and-fluffiness. My mother likes to add some vanilla sugar to the batter but I just made do with vanilla extract. This cake is not only delicious, but to me, sentimental as well. My mother bakes this cake, along with her chocolate cake, every Pesach and in the years I've been home, I've been right alongside her, helping to fold in the whites. I hope it becomes a mainstay in your homes, too.
Mommy's Pesach Banana Cake


3-4 ripe bananas
3/4 cup potato starch
1 cup sugar, divided
splash of vanilla
7 large eggs, separated

Preheat your oven to 350.
Place the bananas in a bowl and mash. I use a plastic sandwich bag as a glove to mash them. Set aside.
Place the egg yolks, potato starch, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla in another bowl.
Whisk until thoroughly blended.
Add the bananas,
and combine.
Place the whites in the bowl of your mixer. Begin beating until foamy. Turn to high and once they hit soft peaks, add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, slowly.

Perfectly beaten.
Scoop the egg whites out of the bowl and onto the batter.

Fold until no streaks of egg white remain.

Pour into your desired pan.

Bake for 45 minutes. Cool completely and serve.

No comments: