Sunday, May 22, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

The recipe for this coffecake-like cake comes from Baked Explorations, the second book to be put out by the guys behind Baked, the bakery. This book was waiting for me when I got to America and I was excited to bring it home and start baking from it, as I've had nothing but success with the recipes from the first book. The very first recipe to jump out at me was the Monkey Bread, as I've been looking for a recipe for it for ages. Alas, it wasn't the first cake I made. Instead, I turned my attentions to the humble Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake. The recipe is accompanied by a cream cheese frosting, but I decided that if I was starting simple, it would be simple all the way. What I love about this recipe is that it requires no mixer and is super easy to make. This cake is perfect for breakfast (it earns its place in that chapter) or with a cup of tea or coffee. My girls couldn't really tell what this cake was except that it was moist and delicious and studded with chocolate chips. Mine sadly sunk to the bottom, but I think they appreciated the layer of chocolate. I used quick cooking oats, as that's what I had on hand, so they disappeared into the batter. But if you want your oats to make more of an appearance, go with the rolled oats.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake
adapted from Baked Explorations

1 cup rolled or quick cooking oats
1/2 stick unsalted butter or margarine, cut into pieces
1 1/4 cups boiling water
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
8 ounces chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper. Grease and set aside.
Place the oats and margarine in a bowl.
Pour the boiling water over it and let stand for five minutes.
Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
Place the eggs, sugars, salt, leavenings, and cinnamon in a bowl.
Whisk until combined.
Pour in the oat mixture,
and fold until combined.
Add the flour,
and stir until combined.
Add the chocolate chips,
and gently fold to incorporate. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares to serve. 

No comments: